Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Golden Rule and Privacy

"Treat others as you would like to be treated"

The golden rule to living life in a society. Everyone wishes to be treated a certain way, but why is it that most don't treat others in that way. A simple way to live life in a nice way, yet so rare.

Which brings me the to issue of privacy. Why is everyone so private with their life. Why must so many aspects of an individual be hidden. Why can't society allow for the interactions which are much more intimate, giving much more depth to each relationship.

How are these two things really related? Well, I for one don't believe in the same type of privacy that most others do. I believe in an open door policy (I literally do not lock my door). Of course, I am a very trusting, maybe even over trusting, person, but I don't feel the need to hide things from others.

For one, every private thing that may be mentioned partially in the presence of another who does not know about the topic makes that person feel incredibly uncomfortable. Having been in that situation, I don't feel like I should put others in it. Of course now I just pry into it as much as possible because I feel that there is no need for anyone to hide anything from me.

I feel like the balance between public and private matters of each individual is at a very biased equilibrium, and there should definitely be a shift towards the public. The reason people want to know about private issues is because they are private, once they become public, the interest dies down.

This all boils down to me, and I do understand that my school of thought is a rare one, but I do not understand why people cannot convert. When I say it boils down to me, I mean that I don't believe in privacy, and hence, by the golden rule, expect others to be much more open with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment